This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please see my full disclosure statement.
I’ve been on the hunt for delicious, easy one pot meals lately. And let me tell you, if you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love, you’ve found it. This kid-friendly recipe is a lighter version of one I found in my Pampered Chef recipes, but still just as tasty, and it can be done with one pot. You can find the original recipe here.
When I was younger, and a night out meant leaving the house after what is my current bedtime, I loved Hamburger Helper. I actually made some a few months back and… yuck! It’s so salty and processed tasting! I couldn’t believe I used to like this stuff. The good thing is that Miss O didn’t like it either, so I guess I’m doing something right.
This recipe is basically a healthier, less processed, more delicious Hamburger Helper. It doesn’t have the sodium of the boxed stuff, and because it’s not pre-packaged you can switch it up however you like. I’m using my Pampered Chef Rockcrok Everyday Pan, which is just about my favorite thing in the kitchen, especially for one pot meals.
Spray your Rockcrok with cooking spray and brown the ground turkey. Have you tried the Mix ‘N Chop? It makes chopping up those ground beef and turkey chunks a piece of cake. When cooked through remove turkey from the Rockcrok. I like to drain mine even though the turkey is pretty lean, then I just leave it in the colander until I need it again.
Add chicken stock and flour to the Rockcrok. Whisk until smooth and heat to a boil, then add the pasta. Cook the pasta for 1-2 minutes less than directed on the box. It should be a little a little too al dente to serve. You’ll need to stir occasionally to keep the pasta from clumping.
Add the cream cheese, milk, and half of the cheese to the Rockcrok. Mix it in until the sauce is smooth and creamy and yummy looking. Is it just me, or is there something about melted cheese that’s just… YES!
Toss in the broccoli and ground turkey and stir into the mix. Put the cover on the Rockcrok and let everything get all melty until the broccoli is tender. Remove the pan from the heat and add the rest of the cheese. Replace the lid and let the cheese melt for 1-2 minutes.
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp flour
- 8 oz uncooked pasta
- 2 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese spread
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- salt and pepper to taste
- In your Rockcrok (or large skillet) season ground turkey to taste and brown until cooked through. Drain and leave in strainer, covered
- In the Rockcrok, add chicken broth and flour, whisking until smooth. Bring to a boil, add pasta. Cook 1-2 minutes less than instructed on the box, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream cheese spread and half of the cheddar until sauce is smooth. Stir in broccoli and meatballs. Cook, covered, 2-3 minutes or until broccoli is tender; remove from heat.
- Top with remaining cheddar; cover and let stand 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.